Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Update from the Lowcountry...

I can't believe it's almost September. That means that we've been gone from Seattle for almost a month already! Doesn't seem possible. I miss it more than I thought I would. I knew I'd miss the people that we left but I didn't realize I'd miss the city so much. I know that we didn't want to live there forever...too big, too much traffic, and too much rain. But, there are many things that I do and will always miss about it that I took for granted.

First and foremost, I miss the variety of food. You could get any type of food that you could dream of...and there was always at least one restaurant per food variety that was amazing. Two...I miss having our windows open & fresh air. If we opened our windows here for even 5 minutes, our entire house would turn into a sauna. This makes me grateful for air conditioning although which is something we didn't have in Seattle. When our apartment was hot for a few weeks in the summer time, there was no escaping that! Third, I miss (call me crazy) the noise at night outside our bedroom window. This is funny because this is something that I often complained about (insatiable, I know) but it's almost too quiet here...I'll get used to it though! Fourth, good beer & wine. The south does not have good beer. Let me rephrase, they have good beer but it's not local. All good beer that we've had here comes from either Colorado, Oregon, or Washington. This observation could be premature although because we have yet to experience the breweries. My dad just sent me a link to all 5 of the breweries in the Charleston area so I'll have to report back on this! And wineries...aww...wineries...no need to expand.

This is a depressing post! Let me list my favorite things so far about Charleston to conclude:
  • the ocean. omg...amazing. warm water, the beach, boogie boards, laying out, awwwwww....
  • the history. there is an endless amount of history to be explored here...I have yet to even tap into it!
  • the cobblestone roads & sidewalks downtown.
  • the southern food.
  • the nice people.
  • the fact that people actually say "hi" and wave at you when they pass by...crazy concept i know.
  • the SUNSHINE! Where have you been for the past two years?
  • the fact that I don't have to drive on a major interstate when I want to go to Target.
  • that fact that I can shop at a grocery store that's named "Piggly Wiggly"
  • the southern drawl.
  • palm trees.
  • More to come I'm sure!
Quick detail update...Matt likes his job. I'm still job searching. Meanwhile, I'm substitute teaching. My dad is coming from DC this coming weekend. We already attended our first wedding this past weekend (congrats Chris & Court!). We are living in a corporate apartment until Sept 29th (we miss our stuff!). I saw my first cockroach this week (also known as a Palmetto bug...disgusting).

If anyone wants to come visit, you are welcome...not that you will probably want to after that last roach comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment