Sunday, March 13, 2011

Grieving with Gratitude & Hidden Blessings

Day 10... grieving with gratitude. Grateful for a loss? Sounds so foreign. That's because it is to our society. This is one of the hardest things for a human to do, to be grateful amongst heartache and loss. We often become mad at God and think that He does not love us because of a hardship that we endure. We think He may be punishing us when in fact, He is not. I recently endured a hard situation in my life surrounding my wedding. I won't go into great detail but at the time, it was really hard on me emotionally. I look back now and realize that I am grateful for the chance to be able to recognize my hard heart and bitterness. Forgiveness and grace does not come easy for anyone and I was really being challenged in these areas at this time. I made a mistake handling a particular situation and dealing with the repercussions of that situation was not easy for me. Admitting my wrongdoing and asking for forgiveness was also not easy. But once again, looking back, it makes me grateful for the opportunity to be able to love as Christ would love regardless of my human instincts and societal pressures. It doesn't always make sense to us to love as Christ does but we do it because we are to obey. And I trust that through prayer and over time, God will continue to heal this situation!

Day 11...embracing hidden blessings.

"Sometimes it takes seeing others suffer to awaken us to how blessed we are. It's as though God catches us by the sleeve and says, "Look across the street, down the road, over the hill. You can learn from those folks: They know what pain is...they know what it means to be disappointed...and yet they praise me."

I'll leave you with that quote. Think about it :)
_____________________________________________
Day 12: something you're grateful for that you do not yet see.
Day 13: ways in which God has strengthened you.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. re you surprised I am commenting on this one:) Thanks for sharing this! I couldn't agree more that in the time of loss we need to be grateful. I remember when I finally thanked God for our loss. It took me a couple months but I did it and it felt great! I also remember when Joan Nelson said to me recently that Jesus is saying to Satan "see, I gave them something really hard but they are still choosing me and still praising me"! That is so similar to what you quoted. I can admit this has truly been the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with but what God is teaching Bryce and I through it will always make me grateful.
    Love you sweet Friend!

    ReplyDelete