Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sweet Southern Comfort

From Carolina down to Georgia,
Smell the jasmine and magnolia,
Sleepy Sweet home Alabama,
Roll tide roll,
Muddy water, Mississippi,
Blessed Graceland whispers to me,
Carry on, Carry on,
Sweet Southern Comfort carry on.
-Buddy Jewel

I've never lived in the south but there is something about the thought of sitting on a front porch, drinking sweet tea, and watching fireflies that intrigues me. It's the football in the fall, the country music, and the site of magnolias lining the streets. The sound of "y'all" in its southern drawl and the smell of fried chicken...mmm...

Why am I writing about this? Because we are moving to the south! That's right, Matt and I will be moving to Charleston, South Carolina in August. It has all happened very quickly but Matt has accepted a position within Boeing that will be moving us literally across the country in just a few short weeks. I write this feeling very bittersweet. We cherish the friendships and our community here in Seattle and it will not be easy to say goodbye. Not to mention, leaving Matt's brother, Jeff. I trust that the south lies deep in his heart as well though, and that he will one day make the same move.

We've lived in Seattle just over two years now and it finally feels like home. It has been sunny and warm which is the worst time to leave the area. It's beautiful here in the summer which makes you forget about the constant rain and dreariness in the winter. I just have to keep reminding myself about the sunshine and even better, the beach that awaits us!

As we sat on our deck and watched the fireworks over Lake Union tonight, I was reminded that God has the perfect plan for our lives and we can rest in that...so cheers to Charleston!

No comments:

Post a Comment