Wednesday, June 27, 2012

overwhelmed by my own expectations

Does this ever happen to you? You'll be blessed with an abundant amount of "free time" and you start thinking about all of the things you'd like to accomplish with this time. I have always been a person that has a hard time relaxing and feel like I constantly need to be up doing something. I knew that once I got back from Montana, I would have approximately two months of "me" time, time to prepare for the baby, get my house organized, nest, spend time with my husband, spend time with Raleigh, etc. but my list of "to do's" just kept getting longer in my mind. Matt keeps telling me to take the time to rest...to take a nap, watch a movie, lay on the couch, or just do whatever I please but I just feel like I can't! There are too many things that I wish to get done before August and it ends up overwhelming me...my own expectations for myself.

Matt reminded me that God is not pleased by our inability to rest. He blesses us with seasons of rest and rejuvination yet we do not take advantage of it. We have the mindset of the typical American...go, go, go and get as much done as possible. It's like that country song... "I'm in a Hurry and Don't Know Why"... or "No Hurry" by Zac Brown Band...


What does it matter if all of the dishes aren't done or if the bed isn't made perfectly each day? It doesn't...and that's what I need to keep reminding myself. I heard someone once say that they were going to "start focusing on the things that matter past tomorrow". I think that's a good goal. No, Matt, I won't let the dirty dishes or laundry pile up so don't worry! Just saying that I need to stop worrying so much about the little stuff before I start missing out on the big stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment